Wednesday, April 21, 2010

No Chance Meetings

So one of my favorite books of all time is The Celestine Prophecy: An Adventure. Last weekend, I picked it up and was re-reading it when one of the concepts that always jumps out at me jumped out at me again: The whole concept of synchronicity, and how when you run into someone multiple times either you have a message for them or they have one for you. In other words, it was no mere coincidence that you ran into this person again.

So I was at a dinner and panel discussion earlier this week and 'coincidentally,' I found myself in the elevator with the same woman when I was arriving to the panel discussion and two hours later when I was leaving the panel discussion. With the book still fresh in my mind, I stopped her and asked if she had a business card because I thought it was interesting that we met up again. I gave her mine.

She contacted me not an hour later. It turns out, she's trying to make a career change and isn't sure how to do it. The career she's trying to break into is freelance writing and researching. With me being a freelance writer and editor, I guess there's a lot that we have to talk about.

3 comments:

  1. I love The Celestine Prophecy too. I like to think of the communication tips as conscious networking. If you're in a roomful of people, you can use the strategies to zero in on who you're supposed to talk to. I've always found it effective and I've always had meaningful conversations when I've used the strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, T.C.
    Trish and Rob, I find it to be synchronicity that you stopped by the blog on a day i actually updated it; i've been updating so sporadically :)

    ReplyDelete