Thursday, September 17, 2009

Titanic Premonitions of Doom


One thing I’ve noticed is that a lot of stories of intuition seem to revolve around tragedies. I’m not sure if that’s because people’s intuition sometimes gets stronger in an attempt to warn them of impending danger or if people are just more likely to notice gut feelings of doom.

There were many fascinating stories of intuition surrounding the Titanic. A number of survivors and victims of the boat’s sinking confided to others prior to the trip that they had a bad feeling about it.

Among them: The Washington Herald in 1912 wrote an article describing how novelist Jacques Futrelle, who died on the Titanic, had a strong enough premonition two weeks before the tragedy to set up powers of attorney for his and his wife’s affairs.

Annie Ward, a maid who survived, told her mother she didn’t want to get on the ship because she was afraid something was going to happen, according to the Evening Bulletin.

Major Archibald Butt reportedly received a warning that he’d die on his trip abroad so he made a will before he left and settled his affairs.

The New York Times reported that George Quincy Clifford, who died in the wreck, took out $50,000 worth of extra life insurance prior to traveling.

You can read more stories of the Titanic premonitions here. Clearly something to think about.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you've gone and done it now.

    Remember when the shuttle exploded on its descent, owing to tile that had fallen off during launch? S

    o the morning that it happened, an hour before it happened, I was still in bed and "came to" for all of about 2 minutes. I had this strange image in my head of the shuttle flying just a few feet above the ground and suddenly exploding. The image was accompanied by absolutely not emotion, and then I fell back to sleep.

    An hour later, my youngest son came to wake me up. He was visibly shaken and said, "Mom, they just said on the TV that the shuttle exploded." I bolted right up and had this horrible sense of guilt. For not having said anything to anyone about the "premonition" (not like that would have made a difference) and for not having experienced any emotion when the image came to me.

    I felt a bit like a freak for a while. But I've come to see this as being "tapped in" to something of which I may never understand, like, or use. It simply is.

    So here you have it. My first "public" telling of some wild intuitive moments.

    Thanks for coaxing it out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Kathleen. I love it. I remember having a dream about a plane crash once and a day later there was a major plane crash. I remember thinking I had somehow picked up on it, but I wondered what was the purpose since there was nothing I could have done to stop it.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete