Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Honoring the Instinct to Rest


It’s been a few days since I’ve written because I felt the overwhelming need to rest. I don’t know if it was the holiday weekend or the winding down of the summer, but my body felt tired and I could sense that burnout was on the horizon.

A couple of years ago, I would have kept going, ignoring my body and I probably would have eventually gotten sick – my body’s way of forcing me to slow down.

Researchers have proven what the body intuitively knows: According to studies cited in this article by Marie Claire, chronic work stress can be as harmful to you as smoking and not exercising.

So after listening to my intuition and taking last week off, this week I feel energized, creative and rested. It may seem like a simple concept to just listen to your body but so many of us ignore what’s right in front of us.

We often get caught up in the dramatic stories of intuition in action, such as my previous post on Jaycee Dugard. But intuition is about recognizing the little things that we need minute-by-minute and day-by-day. It’s not something that we can plan weeks in advance; it’s about acknowledging your needs in the moment and responding to them.

Intuitive Action Item: You’ve probably planned out much of your work vacation time but if you haven’t scheduled all of it, leave some days free for “intuitive health” days. You can’t predict when your body will intuitively need a rest.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again for your cool imaginary friend story. It got some interesting comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes, yes. I totally agree. It's taken me decades to come to an understanding about rest. Well, actually it took a really good bonk on the head, too. Two months of "brain rest" taught me a good deal about listening to what my body tries to tell me. Problem is I have to be reminded over and over. So I'm going to keep reading your very wise blog and trust that I'll pick up some of your good sense!

    ReplyDelete