Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Animal Messages


I’ve been reading a lot about synchronicity lately, as I’m working on an article about how people use it to come up with signs and signals to propel their lives forward. Maybe it’s because as a child I wanted to be a veterinarian, but I’m particularly interested in animals and the belief that animals that cross your path deliver a message that can guide you in one direction or another.

A butterfly can signal that you’re about to undergo a period of transformation, while a skunk that protects itself with it’s magnificent odor can be a sign that you need to defend yourself. Rabbits are signs of fertility and new life. Today a deer crossed my path and deer can represent gentleness and unconditional love. Seeing the deer made me stop and ask myself, who am I reacting to in a harsh or judgmental manner? (I’m not sure if I’m ready to act on that information, but it was interesting to stop and think about it.)

There are a lot of sites online that give animal symbolism. Some of my favorites are http://www.whats-your-sign.com/animal-totems.html, http://onespiritx.tripod.com/magick18.htm and http://www.theearthangelconnection.com/Power%20%20Animals.htm.

While I love seeing what these sites have to say, I think of these meanings the same way I view dream dictionaries. They can be helpful, but if an animal conjures up a different meaning for you, always go with your personal interpretation.

3 comments:

  1. While running today, a woodpecker crossed my path. It was very refreshing, because his beauty took me off guard! My run picked up after that sighting! I remembered this post from you after running and decided to revisit it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think nature is really speaking through to me today. I just had a "show down" with a bird. This was a very odd experience. The bird would not move, when normally birds of its kind fly away when people approach. When I moved close to see if it was injured, the bird pooped and then looked at me. We stared each other down for about 3 minutes. Then it flew away. Odd...

    ReplyDelete